CHART: How Mobile Coupons Are Driving An Explosion In Mobile Commerce
As recently as late 2010,
In a recent report from BI Intelligence , we examine the main reasons why mobile commerce is exploding, and analyze the new mobile merchandising trends — like mobile catalogs and coupons - that are contributing to this growth.
Take a look at this chart that illustrates the widespread usage of mobile coupons:
The role of mobile coupons in driving mobile commerce will only continue to grow:
- The number of U.S. smartphone users using mobile coupons has increased dramatically - from 7.4 million in 2010 to 29.5 million last year. By 2014, that number is expected to surge to 47.1 million.
Mobile coupons are being used across the gamut in retail:
41% of mobile coupons users said they had redeemed coupons
at the grocery store, 41% said they redeemed coupons at department stores, and 39% at clothing stores.
- And that's barely scratching the surface: In 2012 there were 3 05 billion consumer packaged goods coupons (CPG) , print and digital, distributed in the U.S. — a number that remained unchanged from 2011. Roughly 90% of CPG coupons were distributed as free-standing print inserts in publications , while digital coupons represented less than 1% of the total.
More from this author
- On the day of the 'Game of Thrones' season 7 premi...
- No more 32-bit apps on Apple devices after the rel...
- A quiet force that has propped up mobile advertisi...
- The 12 best apps that make moving a lot easier
- 13 things everyone is going to love about iOS 11
- All the changes coming to Apple's App Store in iOS...
- Apple's bet on iMessage apps has hit a wall