Finally! Nokia launches Android smartphone
BI India BureauJan 8, 2017, 11.47 AM
The launch marks the first new smartphone carrying the iconic handsname since 2014 when
The new device, Nokia 6, runs on
"The decision by HMD to launch its first Android smartphone into China is a reflection of the desire to meet the real world needs of consumers in different markets around the world... it is a strategically important market," HMD said in a statement.
Nokia was once the world's dominant cellphone maker but missed the shift to smartphones, and then chose Microsoft's
After the 2014 deal, Microsoft continued selling cheaper basic phones under Nokia's name and Lumia smartphones under its own name, but last year, it largely abandoned both businesses.
HMD in December took over the Nokia feature phones business and struck a licensing deal that gave it sole use of the Nokia brand on all phones and tablets for the next decade.
It will pay Nokia royalties for the brand and patents, but Nokia has no direct investment in HMD. Nokia Oyj is currently focused on telecom network equipment business and technology patents.
HMD launched some new Nokia basic phones last month. It said on Sunday it was looking to launch more new products in the first half of the year.
More from this author
- Good news: Nokia confirms comeback to smartphone b...
- By the time Microsoft bought Nokia, it was way too...
- Microsoft just blasted Google for how it handles o...
- The startup that wants to take Android 'away from ...
- Microsoft surprised everybody by announcing what's...
- Microsoft explains why LinkedIn will be the opposi...
- Nokia phones are primed for a comeback