Here's Why The EU Still Won't Approve Tough Sanctions On Russia
The European Union already imposed sanctions on Russia in March over its stealth invasion and annexation of Crimea, but those lacked teeth . In the week after Russian-backed separatist accidentally shot down Malaysia Flight MH17 on July 17, killing 298 people, some EU members have urged much tougher sanctions .
Furthermore, imposing sanctions requires agreement from all 28 EU member states .
Another key factor is Europe's reliance on Russian gas. Interestingly, several countries that import a significant amount of Russian gas are pro-sanctions while others that do not import any Russian gas are still against sanctions.
Nevertheless, there's no collective political will to truly punish Vladimir Putin as long as Russian companies are supplying about 30% of Europe's gas .
More from this author
- In Defense Of Marissa Mayer
- Secretary Of Defense Hagel Called 'Secretary Of De...
- These charts show the immensity of the US' defense...
- Watch the FCC Chair's impassioned defense of net n...
- Steven Avery's defense attorney admits doubts abou...
- REPORTS: A Secretary Of Defense Nominee Has Been C...
- Johnny Manziel Taunted By Bengals Defense After Sa...
Highest paid Bollywood actresses in 2016
Help this father stay alive for 1-yr-old son!
Prelaunch Lodha Amara - Kolshet Thane 1,2&3 bhk @ Rs.58 lac+
Lodha Amara Thane
Own monthly rent generating property for as little as 10 lac
Highest paid Bollywood actors in 2016
Own monthly rent generating property for as little as ₹5L