Hindi Ke Achhe Din: ATMs To Generate Receipts In Hindi
BI India BureauJul 4, 2014, 01.05 PM
ATMs in Hindi-speaking states will now generate receipts in
The ministry has also instructed two major foreign suppliers of ATMs to upgrade the software in the existing ATMs to ensure printouts in Hindi.
The Department of Financial Services has written to the Home Ministry, saying the matter is under consideration. "We will be perusing this matter... the issue is that the printout of the receipt (from the
At present, only ATMs procured by the
The ministry says such a situation runs foul of the government's official language policy. "The main reason of this problem is non-inclusion of such condition of printing in Hindi and regional languages while floating the tenders for procurement of ATMs by banks. As per the official language policy of the Union, the banks are required to procure only that equipment which has the facility of working both in English and Hindi. It is therefore requested that all banks be instructed to ensure that all ATM machines being procured in future should have the facility of doing transaction and printing in Hindi in Hindi-speaking states and all existing machines should be upgraded to have such a facility," the ministry wrote in identical letters to the RBI, the Finance Ministry and the Indian Banks Association.
More from this author
- From maintaining minimum balance in accounts to AT...
- Bank tellers are in danger of extinction as the AT...
- Nanny of 'Weeds' star Mary-Louise Parker is accuse...
- For the first time, outdated ATMs in India came ha...
- Soon there may be Rs 200 notes in circulation
- HDFC Bank cuts rates to 3.5 % on savings accounts
- 5 key takeaways from RBI’s monetary policy