Microsoft Is Making An Astonishing $2 Billion Per Year From Android Patent Royalties
He estimates that the Android revenue has a 95% margin, so it's pretty much all profit.
This money, says Sherlund, helps Microsoft hide the fact that its mobile and Xbox groups are burning serious cash.
For the past few years, Microsoft reported the revenue and operating losses of Entertainment and Devices, which was the group that housed Xbox, Windows Phone, and those Android royalty payments.
That group always seemed to be profitable, but Sherlund says it's largely because of the Android money.
Sherlund says that if you back out the Android profits, Microsoft is probably losing $2.5 billion on Skype, Xbox, and Windows Phone. Of that, $2 billion in losses are attributable to the Xbox platform.
Sherlund believes Microsoft needs to spin out Xbox. He sees it as an orphan group at Microsoft that doesn't really fit with anything it's doing.
Investors are blind to Xbox's struggles, says Sherlund, because they are "concealed by the hugely profitable Android royalties."
More from this author
- Shree Sai Spaces Creations and Wasankar Wealth man...
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella Kills Nokia's Android ...
- Microsoft Is Still Going To Sell Nokia's Android P...
- Microsoft quietly launched a Slack competitor for ...
- A huge shift in the Android market is hurting Micr...
- “Nadella will also put Office 365 on Android, if a...
- Introducing Microsoft Band, The $199 Fitness Track...
Highest paid Bollywood actresses in 2016
Help this father stay alive for 1-yr-old son!
Prelaunch Lodha Amara - Kolshet Thane 1,2&3 bhk @ Rs.58 lac+
Lodha Amara Thane
Own monthly rent generating property for as little as 10 lac
Highest paid Bollywood actors in 2016
Own monthly rent generating property for as little as ₹5L