Saudi Arabia to give its nationals preference in mall jobs; restricts employment for foreigners
ReutersApr 21, 2017, 11.55 AM
The kingdom has been steadily closing off different areas of employment to foreigners, who comprise about a third of the population, as it aims to create jobs for young Saudis and cut the unemployment rate among nationals.
A statement from the minister for labour and social development, posted on Twitter, defined malls as "closed commercial centres", but did not elaborate on the number of jobs affected or a timeline for implementation.
According to the Vision 2030 economic reform plan released last year, the Saudi retail sector currently employs 1.5 million workers, of whom only 300,000 are Saudis. The plan calls for a million new jobs for Saudis in the sector by 2020.
More from this author
- Saudi Arabia is facing a 'squeeze'
- HSBC: Saudi Arabia faces 'stagnation and decay'
- Saudi Arabia just one-upped the US
- Saudi Arabia is severing diplomatic ties with Iran
- Oil tumbles after Saudi Arabia says it increased p...
- Saudi Arabia declares war on the US shale gas indu...
- A nervous Saudi Arabia just launched a massive mil...