Second Scorpene class submarine Khanderi launched; these are its state-of-the art features
BI India BureauJan 12, 2017, 03.01 PM
The launch was initiated by the Union Minister of State for
The state-of-the-art features of this Scorpene class submarine include superior stealth and the ability to launch a crippling attack on the enemy using precision guided weapon. The attack can be launched with torpedoes, as well as tube-launched anti-ship missiles, whilst underwater or on surface. The stealth features will give it an invulnerability, unmatched by many submarines.
Also, the submarine is designed to operate in all theatres, including the tropics. All means and communications are provided to ensure interoperability with other components of a Naval task force . It can undertake multifarious types of missions typically undertaken by any modern submarine, i.e anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, area surveillance, etc.
Khanderi is the second of the six submarines being built at MDL in collaboration with M/s DCNS of France , as part of Project 75 of Indian Navy. The first one,
More from this author
- Defence Minister To Meet Top Defence Brass In Delhi
- Bonjour, France!
- Arun Jaitley increases defence budget by 5.8%
- Defence PSUs have $8.3 billion of advances, and De...
- Defence ministry wants the private industry to tak...
- Welcome, Business Insider France!
- India And Japan To ‘Upgrade And Strengthen’ Defenc...