More than 1 million people now pay for Tinder's premium tier - which costs up to $9.99 per month
Noam Galai/Getty Images for TechCrunch
Match beat on its Q1 revenue, and one interesting metric was the continued growth of Tinder Plus. The number of paying users is a small fraction of Tinder's overall user base, which is estimated to be more than 50 million users worldwide . But at $9.99 per month, with discounts if you lock into longer periods (it's $4.58 per month for a whole year), Tinder Plus is a significant source of revenue.
These are the features you get with Tinder Plus.
- Unlimited swipes (instead of a limit per-day).
- The ability to "rewind" your last swipe, if you made a mistake.
- No ads.
- The option to change your location and match with people "around the world."
- An increase in the number of Super Likes you can send (usually capped at one per day).
Match, which also owns Match.com and OkCupid, gets bulk of its revenue from membership fees and paid features.
The company said its average paid-member count jumped 36 percent to 5.1 million in the first quarter ended March 31, also helped by the acquisition of PlentyOfFish.
Match Group, majority owned by media mogul Barry Diller's IAC/InterActiveCorp, agreed to buy Vancouver-based PlentyOfFish for $575 million in July last year.
The Dallas-based company's dating business, its biggest, which includes apps such as Tinder, recorded a 24 percent rise in revenue to $260.4 million.
(Reuters reporting by
More from this author
- Shree Sai Spaces Creations and Wasankar Wealth man...
- What's 'hot' and what's 'not' for tech in 2017
- Apple Shares Up More Than 2% As iPhone Announcemen...
- The Apple Store is down!
- Thanks to her mom, 3-year-old London Scout is Inst...
- Two former Apple and LloydsPharmacy execs have lau...
- Companies to say goodbye to a horde of identificat...