RBI To Issue Final Guidelines For Small Banks By Month-end
BI India BureauNov 13, 2014, 03.30 PM
Reserve Bank of India (
He added that supermarket chains and post offices can also apply for these licences. "One of the suggestions was that instead of having local area banks which are focussed on two or three districts, we should allow for the possibility of all India small finance banks. But the key is that these should be focused on small lending," Rajan said.
The RBI Governor also cautioned against repeated loan waivers by various state governments, saying that such measures disrupt credit pricing and credit market. "There should be a reasonable ceiling on interest rate on loans from micro-finance lenders for consumer protection," he said.
More from this author
- There is lot of policy uncertainty right now: Ragh...
- RBI can do better to boost growth, feels the gover...
- RBI will now deal with $150 billion bad debt probl...
- Under Urjit Patel, RBI zooms in on 4 per cent infl...
- RBI might leave holding rates unchanged
- No change in interest rates, says RBI
- GST to have macro economic impact: RBI