$10 billion of Chicago's debt was just downgraded to one level above junk
Scott Olson/Getty Images
According to a release from Fitch, the firm cut the city's rating two levels from BBB+ to BBB-.
Any ratings drop now would put the city into junk bond territory. S&P also has Chicago's rating one notch above junk territory and the third agency, Moody's, already has the city's bonds as junk.
Fitch cited a Illinois Supreme Court ruling on the city's pension funds as one of the main causes for the downgrade.
"Fitch believes last week's Illinois Supreme Court ruling striking down pension reform legislation for two of the city of Chicago's four pension plans was among the worst of the possible outcomes for the city's credit quality," said the release.
"Not only did it strike down the pension reform legislation in its entirety, but it made clear that the city bears responsibility to fund the promised pension benefits, even if the pension funds become insolvent."
Without the ability to restructure the debt, the city must raise new funds and cut costs, which is a much tougher task according to Fitch.
There was some upside, according to the credit rating agency. Chicago remains one of the main hubs for business in the Midwest and the city has a strong, well-educated workforce to boost the economy.
In addition to the downgrade, Fitch maintained a negative outlook for the City's debt.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Here’s a list of stocks that can benefit from the festive season
- New Airtel and Reliance Jio prepaid plans compared
- Mobile accessories company Balaji Solutions files initial papers for public listing
- Ratan Tata launches Goodfellows which helps senior citizens make friends
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala-backed Concord Biotech files for an IPO
- Ather 450X Gen 3 vs Ola S1 vs TVS iQube S – price, specs and features compared