10 mistakes I made in the first 5 years of my career that I'll never make again
- Career mistakes happen, probably more often than not in the early years of your working life.
- Making mistakes can be constructive, adding to your skill set and experience.
- Author Chelsea Greenwood made mistakes during the first five years of her career that taught her valuable lessons about being a professional.
By the time my last semester of college rolled around, I was eager to get out of dodge. Four years of classes and wild parties left me more than ready for a full-time job that would start my career in journalism.
Luckily, it was just before the recession hit, and I had some solid work experience under my belt from interning throughout college. As a result, I landed my first job right after graduation in 2005 as an assistant editor at a city magazine in my home state.
When you're fresh out of college, it takes some time to transition into a professional, and I definitely made my fair share of mistakes during my first five years of my working life.
Here are 10 biggest mistakes I made in the first five years of my career that I'll never repeat.
1. I wore my emotions on my sleeve
2. I held grudges
3. I left early because everyone else had
4. I took criticism too personally
5. I mixed personal and professional
6. I drank a little too much at a company function
7. I was too much of an open book
8. I thought business attire meant button-up shirts and slacks
9. I procrastinated
10. I took for granted what a great job it was
- Female African elephants evolved toward being tuskless over just a few decades as poachers sought ivory
- Manchester United owners are getting drawn to the world's biggest cricket league – here's why
- Federal Bank is offering internships for fresh graduates — Check out stipend, incentives and other details
- Best smartphones with 90Hz display under ₹20,000 in India
- Best 2.1 channel soundbars in India
- Best high speed monochrome printers in India
- Best multi-pin charging cables in India
- India vs Pakistan at T20 World Cup — Where to watch the match