10 Things In Tech You Need To Know This Morning
Good, blustery morning. The news:
- An interview with Aereo CEO Chet Kanojia. Aereo is building a web-based TV service and it has the TV industry scared.
- Top Chinese Internet company is closing in on its IPO, and it will list in the U.S.
- World famous Samsung spokesman LeBron James goofed yesterday. He tweeted that his phone erased all his data after it rebooted. He quickly deleted the tweet. (Even worse, the Heat lost to the Brooklyn Nets last night.)
- Microsoft is waving the fees it normally charges for Windows Phone for two Indian phone makers. This is a huge shift since Microsoft's whole business was built on charging for its OS.
- A big report on the state of smartphones in China says there are 700 million phones active there, and the iPhone is doing much better than expected.
- Here's a fun story by SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son on how he landed the iPhone as an exclusive. He went to Steve Jobs two years before there was even an iPhone with a drawing of what he thought Apple should do with a phone. Jobs said I don't need your drawing, I have my own. Son said, great, when it's out I want the exclusive. At the time, Son didn't even have a carrier yet.
- An in-depth review of all the battery packs that are available for your phone. The Lenmar Meridian gets the best review.
- Vanity Fair has new report on Sergey Brin's affair with a Google employee.
- Elon Musk's SpaceX is about to launch its biggest rocket yet, and yes, it can go to Mars.
- The New York Times Magazine has a long story about the rift between young people and old people in Silicon Valley. Frankly, the story is a little meandering, but it looks at the division between young people making photo apps and older people that build highly technical infrastructure at places like Cisco. It's a snapshot of the mood of technology right now, which is less technological than in the past, and more idea-driven.
- Here’s a tiny washing machine that cleans your TWS earbuds in two minutes
- 106-year-old woman in Madhya Pradesh gets her first COVID-19 vaccine
- Facebook's ad delivery system shows gender bias, says new study
- Check out the top 10 batsmen with the highest strike rate in all IPL matches
- Petrol pumps closed in Rajasthan as dealers demand rollback of VAT on fuel