10 things in tech you need to know today
Andrew Burton/Getty Images
1. The price of bitcoin has jumped over $1,000 (£810) for the first time in three years. The digital currency has climbed 125% in 2016, according to Reuters.
2. We've rounded up the tech startups that are IPO candidates to watch in 2017. Snap Inc., Spotify, and Dropbox are all on the list.
3. Twitter's head of China has left the company after just eight months, Mashable reports. Kathy Chen announced the news in a series of tweets.
4. Dell has launched a redesigned version of one of the best Windows laptops you can buy. The Dell XPS 2-in-1 was launched at CES in Las Vegas on Monday.
5. Qualcomm has accidentally revealed the Asus Zenfone AR, its latest smartphone, International Business Times reports. It uses Google Tango, an augmented reality technology.
6. Donald Trump says hackers can't be caught after a cyberattack - here's why that's wrong. "It's actually significantly harder to catch somebody in the act than it is to catch somebody after the fact," one security expert says.
7. Facebook censored a photo of a statue of the sea god Neptune, The Telegraph reports. An art historian was told that they could not promote their page while the image was used to illustrate it.
8. Finland has launched an experiment giving 2,000 people free money until 2019. It is trialling Universal Basic Income.
9. French workers can now legally ignore email out of work hours, The Next Web reports. A new "right to disconnect" law came into force on January 1, 2017.
10. Russian government hackers do not appear to have targeted a US electricity utility, say people close to the investigation. The Washington Post originally reported that Russian hackers broken into an electricity company, but is now walking back its report.
- GST Council meet: No new tax on food delivery apps Swiggy, Zomato
- SBI, Kotak Mahindra and others cut home loan rates ahead of festive season
- Virat Kohli's T20I journey as captain is better than Dhoni's
- Gen Z decoded: MTV's latest report reflects Gen Z’s behavior patterns,mindsets, habits and perceptions
- From ecommerce to payments — here are the top funded business models of last one year