10 things in tech you need to know today
Leah Millis / Reuters
Good morning! Here is the tech news you need to know this Friday.
1. Facebook doubled its European lobbying spend to $3 million. The firm faced multiple crises last year, including the spread of fake news, terrorist content, and election interference.
2. Facebook has quietly moved 1.5 billion users out of reach of sweeping new privacy laws. It implies that Facebook is striving to reduce its exposure to GDPR.
3. Leaked video shows Theranos employees playing the video game they created where you shoot at the reporter who exposed the startup's problems. The firm once valued at $9 billion is in trouble - and some staff blame a Wall Street Journal journalist.
4. A prominent tech investor says arrogance in Silicon Valley has reached fever pitch. He's constantly embarrassed by what people say.
5. Apple has a new iPhone-destroying robot called Daisy. It can disassemble 200 iPhones an hour.
6. Apple might have a new iPhone SE in the works. The company raised hopes of a next-generation iPhone SE with a regulatory filing in Russia.
7. Jeff Bezos explains why he will never be satisfied with Amazon's success. He loves that customers are "divinely discontent."
8. YouTube ran ads from hundreds of brands on extremist channels. CNN found ads from companies including Adidas, Amazon, and Facebook on channels promoting white nationalists, Nazis, paedophilia, conspiracy theories, and North Korean propaganda.
9. The International Monetary Fund chief has warned that US tech giants wield too much power. "Too much market power in the hands of the few is not helpful to the economy or to the wellbeing of individuals," Christine Lagarde said.
10. Amazon buys exclusive UK rights to the US Open. Amazon's five-year deal is worth $40 million, according to The Guardian.
NOW WATCH: The top 10 games coming in 2018
- A student who accidentally became a millionaire with a cult following after selling his expressionless selfies as NFTs says he feels confused
- After 10-minute grocery delivery, a 15-minute ambulance service grabs investor interest
- Fortune oil maker Adani Wilmar is looking to acquire southern players in edible oil, FMCG industry
- Swiggy raises $700 million led by Invesco to double down on quick commerce, valuation crosses $10 billion
- OnePlus 10R with MediaTek Dimensity 9000 SoC tipped to launch in India by Q2 end
- IPL 2022: These are the foreign players who are retained by the teams ahead of the auction
- From Adani Green to HAL – these 10 stocks have defied the market meltdown
- Wipro, L&T Infotech, Zee Entertainment, Mindtree among top losers that hit investors’ portfolio in the last one month