10 things in tech you need to know today
Good morning! This is the tech news you need to know this Friday.
- Chris Cox, a key Facebook executive and lieutenant of Mark Zuckerberg, is leaving the company amid a reorganization. Zuckerberg announced the news in a memo to employees that he also shared publicly on Thursday.
- Uber plans to launch its IPO next month, Reuters reports. The timing of the IPO means it should arrive soon after Uber's main rival Lyft.
- Tesla unveiled its new Model Y on Thursday night. CEO Elon Musk presented the new crossover SUV.
- Facebook is launching a new gaming hub and app to try and lure gamers to the social network. The company is putting video-game streaming, groups, casual games, and other gaming-related material in a specialised tab in the app.
- Facebook says its massive outage was due to a "server configuration change." On Wednesday, the Silicon Valley tech giant's apps went down across the world for hours.
- Apple's iCloud service appeared to be suffering outages affecting several products on Thursday. Earlier this week, Facebook experienced a huge outage.
- Apple responded to Spotify's regulatory complaint that it quashes fair competition. Apple said Spotify wants to keep the benefits of its app store "without making any contributions to that marketplace."
- A Google employee broke the world record for calculating pi. Google engineer Emma Haruka Iwao has calculated pi to 31 trillion digits, breaking the world record.
- The reporter who broke the Theranos saga wide open pinpointed the moment he knew he had a big story on his hands. The Wall Street Journal investigative reporter John Carreyrou knew from his first phone call with a Theranos insider that he had a great story.
- The US's top general says Google's work in China is indirectly benefiting the Chinese military. "Frankly, 'indirect' may be not a full characterization of the way it really is, it is more of a direct benefit to the Chinese military," said Marine General Joseph Dunford.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? Now you can hear 10 Things in Tech each morning. Just search for "Business Insider" in your Alexa's flash briefing settings.
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- India’s central bank imposes ₹1 crore penalty on the country’s biggest lender
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Amazon's campaign encourages customers to thank its associates and share their happiness with frontline teams
- Brazilians bought more than $4 billion in cryptocurrencies this year as the country looks to regulate Bitcoin
- If you are a pensioner, you can submit Jeevan Pramaan sitting at home — Here is what you need to do
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons