10 things you need to know before the opening bell.
Here is what you need to know.1. China just posted its lowest growth rate in almost 30 years as the trade war hammers its economy. Analysts are saying the worst is yet to come as Trump's tariffs outweighed domestic stimulus efforts. Advertisement
3. Boris Johnson's plans for a Brexit trade deal with Trump are "in breach of European law" warns Trade Secretary. Liam Fox said on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, "We can't negotiate anything with the US until after we have left the European Union," as it would break EU rules.4. Trump is considering removing Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross after a Supreme Court defeat on adding a citizenship question to the census, NBC reported. Trump on Thursday retreated from adding a contentious question on citizenship to the 2020 census, but insisted he was not giving up his fight to count how many non-citizens are in the country.
5. Deutsche Bank just nabbed AQR's head of technology to help lead a $15 billion push into digital with a focus on the cloud. Neal Pawar, the chief technology officer and a principal at AQR, will leave the $203 billion hedge fund to serve as group chief information officer at Deutsche Bank, Business Insider has learned.7. China's government and companies will not do business with US companies involved in arms sales to Taiwan, China's foreign ministry said on Monday. This comes after the US approved its largest arms sale since the start of the Trump administration. Advertisement
8. Stocks today were mixed with the US and Asia up while Europe had a muted start. US futures were up with the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq rising (+0.1%). In Europe, stocks slid, as the Euro Stoxx 50 was down (-0.2%) and the German Dax was flat. In Asia, Hong Kong's Hang Seng was up (+0.3%) as was the Shanghai Composite (+0.4) after China's economic news.
9. Earnings season is kicking off. Citigroup is set to report its second-quarter results.10. Economic data continues to come out. Chinese growth figures were today's highlight, and the NY Empire State manufacturing index reading is scheduled for later.Advertisement
- Rajasthan records 3 more COVID19-related deaths; 236 new cases take tally to 7,536
- Woman dies of COVID-19 after birthday bash, 19 test positive
- 24 new COVID-19 cases in Himachal, tally 248
- Nearly 60pc cases admitted into CIRP still under resolution process: Report
- 1,002 new coronavirus cases, 39 deaths reported in Mumbai