11 books that will make you smarter about politics
Kevin Dietsch-Pool/Getty Images
- Politics can sometimes be difficult to follow, but it pays to be knowledgeable of pressing issues that deal with the current and future state of the US.
- The following books are largely nonpartisan and discuss diverse eras, figures, and topics in American politics.
- Here are 11 books that will help make you smarter about American politics.
Most people will agree that we're in an unprecedented era of US politics, from our unorthodox president and the rise of social activism to the surge of women running for office.Plus, midterm elections are this year, so brushing up on your politics is a good idea if you want to be a meaningful part of the national conversation.
Here are 11 books that will help you sharpen your political know-how, no matter which side of the political spectrum you fall on.
1. ‘What You Should Know About Politics…But Don’t’ by Jessamyn Conrad
2. ‘Fascism: A Warning’ by Madeleine Albright
3. ‘The Best and the Brightest’ by David Halberstam
4. ‘Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln’ by Doris Kearns Goodwin
5. ‘The Populist Explosion: How the Great Recession Transformed American and European Politics’ by John Judis
6. ‘Alexander Hamilton’ by Ron Chernow
7. ‘Red State, Blue State, Rich State, Poor State: Why Americans Vote the Way They Do’ by Andrew Gelman
8. ‘Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty’ by Daron Acemoglu and James Robinson
9. ‘All the King’s Men’ by Robert Penn Warren
10. ‘The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court’ by Jeffrey Toobin
11. ‘American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America’ by Colin Woodard