13 mind-blowing facts about Russia's economy
- Following World War II, the Soviet Union emerged as a global superpower to rival the United States.
- But after the Soviet Union crumbled in the early 1990s, Russia had to reinvent its economy.
- Markets Insider compiled 13 surprising facts about Russia's economy.
- Visit MarketsInsider.com for more stories.
Following World War II, the Soviet Union emerged as a global superpower to rival the United States.
But when the Soviet Union crumbled in the early 1990s and reemerged as Russia, it had to reinvent its economy. In the decades that followed, the communist nation has experienced plenty of economic struggles.
As Russia continues to try to reassert itself as a global power, it faces a fluctuating currency, declining population, and an economy that is in many ways dependent on oil and gas.
Here are 13 mind-blowing facts about Russia's economy:
Russia loses 700 people every day
Russia has more than $460 billion in reserve funds
Russia's economic output plummeted 45% in the decade after the Soviet Union broke up.
Oil and gas make up 59% of Russia's exports
More than 13% of Russians live in poverty
Russia has more than 70 billionaires
Russia's currency, the ruble, has dropped in value by 50% this decade
The average monthly wage in Russia is $670
Ikea owns 20% of the Russian furniture market
Russian vodka consumption has dropped by more than 50% in the past 20 years
Asbest, Russia, produced 315,000 tons of asbestos last year
Russia invested more than a quarter of a billion dollars in Zimbabwe's diamond industry
Russia spent $50 billion on the 2014 Winter Olympics
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- 'Get your boy Elon in line:' Former NASA official says she was ridiculed for supporting SpaceX in new memoir
- India is betting on casinos, online games and horse races to fill its coffers
- Best voltage stabilizers for home in India
- Asus teases the ROG Phone 6 gaming phone — confirmed to feature IPX4 splash-resistance
- Supercomputers are faster and more powerful — but need to be more energy-efficient
- Best hair removal cream for women in India
- Sensex, Nifty maintain 3-day streak, rally by nearly 1%