14 of the top 20 most polluted cities in the world are Indian
pollutioncauses one in every nine deaths. Kanpurreported the highest PM10 concentration in India. Mumbaijoined the list of the most polluted cities ranking at number four.
The pollution is measured in units of
The city-wise report is as follows:
Kanpur was reported highest on PM2.5 count scoring 173 μg/m3 and PM10 was 319 μg/m3. This rose from 108 μg/m3 and 199 μg/m3 respectively in 2015.
With an established population of 19 million,
Mumbai joined the list of the most polluted cities ranking at number four, according to data compiled by WHO for megacities. The PM10 concentration was reported 104 μg/m3 and PM2.5 was 64 μg/m3. The concentration rose from 105 μg/m3 (PM10) and 66 μg/m3 (PM2.5) in 2015.
PM10 and PM2.5 were reported 80 μg/m3 and 52 μg/m3 respectively. Chennai reduced its PM2.5 concentration from 54 μg/m3 but the PM10 concentration rose from 70 μg/m3 in 2015.
Pollution soared in
The government’s attempts to reduce pollution in
Faridabad, Varanasi, Gaya, Patna, Lucknow, Muzaffarpur, Srinagar, Gurgaon, Jaipur, Patiala, Jodhpur are also among the top polluted cities, bringing India’s tally to 14 out of the 20 most polluted cities in the world. The PM10 and PM2.5 levels in all of these cities are double of the annual safe limit.
The complete report by WHO can be viewed here.
- India Ratings gives the banking sector a 'negative' outlook for the second half of this financial year
- Paytm says your money is safe and the app will be back soon on Play Store
- Paytm app removed from the Google Play Store – big blow to Paytm First Games ahead of the IPL starting tomorrow
- India’s fiscal deficit could hit $200 billion by the end of the financial year
- Sony Xperia 5 II is a compact smartphone with high-end features