15 Jawans killed in a deadly maoist attack in Gadchiroli district of Maharashtra
According to preliminary reports, an IED (improvised explosive device) was set off on a police vehicle. Around 3:30 am on Tuesday, Maoists torched 25 vehicles, using petrol and diesel in Kurkheda, Gadchiroli.
PM Narendra Modi condemned the incident, calling it despicable. He added the perpetrators will not be spared.
Strongly condemn the despicable attack on our security personnel in Gadchiroli, Maharashtra. I salute all the brave… https://t.co/e6XzmCpynq— Chowkidar Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1556701343000
Gadchiroli is a Maoist-affected district that borders Chhattisgarh. The district recently voted in the first phase of India’s general elections on April 11.
The same day, Maoists have set off another IED blast in Gadchiroli on April 11. However, no one was injured in the event. On April 10, a CRPF soldier was injured in an IED blast in Gadchiroli.
Attack on Maharashtra Police personnel in Gadchiroli is an act of cowardice and desperation. We are extremely proud… https://t.co/Hble4c6bmD— Chowkidar Rajnath Singh (@rajnathsingh) 1556701558000
The chief minister of Maharashtra, Devendra Fadnavis has also condemned the cowardly attack on the police force.
Anguished to know that our 16 police personnel from Gadchiroli C-60 force got martyred in a cowardly attack by naxa… https://t.co/mtAcQgY8Pf— Chowkidar Devendra Fadnavis (@Dev_Fadnavis) 1556701533000
Maharashtra DGP Subodh Jaiswal has said that the investigation is underway. According to the initial reports, the bus carrying 15 commandos was en route to the attack site where the Maoists had set ablaze 27 vehicles. The commando bus was targeted by the Maoists that killed all the 15 commandos and the driver.
In April 2018, security forces carried one of the biggest anti-Maoist operations in Maharashtra, eliminating over 40 rebels.
On a day when Maharashtra celebrates its statehood, the incident has raised alarms over security arrangements in sensitive areas of the state.
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Google and Microsoft hiring interns in India — Check out eligibility, job descriptions and other details
- AWS appears to be down, and it's taken popular services like Ring smart-home systems, Netflix, and Disney+ with it
- RBI keeps lending rates intact, remains accommodative
- Although Shriram Properties has solid future prospects, Omicron may mess things in the near term
- IPL to Covid vaccine — Here’s what Indians searched on Google the most in 2021
- Best ultrawide monitors in India
- INTERVIEW: Old-school regulatory framework for traditional assets won’t work for cryptocurrencies and blockchain, says CrossTower CEO