17 teachers share what they wish they knew before they started teaching
- Teachers, like anyone else, know that hindsight is 20/20.
- Business Insider asked teachers for the one thing they wish they knew before becoming a teacher, and more than 50 replied.
- Some of the most interesting responses are included below.
There are quite a few steps you need to take before you become a teacher.
To become an elementary school teacher in a public school, for example, you not only need to hold a bachelor's degree, but you also need to prove you have the skills necessary to teach elementary education and have a certain number of hours of supervised educational experience under your belt.
All this job training can only take you so far, however, and inevitably you enter the teaching world not entirely prepared for what's ahead.
To help prevent aspiring teachers from getting caught by surprise, we asked teachers everywhere for one thing they wish they knew before becoming a teacher, and more than 50 teachers responded.
We've anonymously included some of their answers here:
Politics play a huge role.
The job is so rewarding.
Your days rarely end when the bell rings.
Being an extrovert only carries you so far.
It's really not about teaching what you love.
You're held responsible for things that are completely out of your control.
Parent involvement is key.
You can be stretched thin.
There's no job security.
You need to be flexible on a daily basis.
Don't expect any breaks.
Teaching isn't just about teaching.
You can worry a lot about your students.
There is no separation of work and home.
Your boss matters.
You get emotionally invested in your students.
It can be exhausting and very stressful.
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- Toyota's president said he 'did a little happy dance' after the company dethroned GM to become the bestselling carmaker in the US last year
- Essential food item prices spiked in the last one year
- SC to hear SEBI's review petition against RIL on Oct 12
- OPINION: Can trust-based philanthropy become the mainstream?
- PM Modi on India’s 5G launch – here are the key points from the speech
- PM Modi inaugurates India Mobile Congress, experiences 5G devices being showcased