18 Photos Of Old Shanghai Being Demolished To Make Way For Modernization
The city's ornate and seedy buildings began giving way to skyscrapers, residential towers, and squeaky clean development, as residents were forced out of dilapidated homes. Determined to capture the city before it disappeared, Girard began photographing the city's old neighborhoods.Over the course of eight years, Girard captured the ghosts of Shanghai - the century-old buildings that were demolished and those that remain. In recent years, more of an effort has been made to preserve Shanghai's architectural heritage, though the damage has already been done.Advertisement
Girard shared a number of photos from his project with us here, but you can see the rest in his book, "Phantom Shanghai," or on his website.
- After a talk with Amit Shah, Goa Chief Minister says the nationwide lockdown may be extended for 15 days
- Odisha reports 63 new COVID-19 cases, total rises to 1,723
- 3 more test positive for COVID-19 in Manipur, total count 58
- COVID-19 cases in Hamirpur near 100-mark as five more test positive
- 84 new cases take Indore COVID-19 tally to 3,344; 4 more die