18 car brands with the longest warranties
- The average American drives nearly 13,500 miles per year, so a car with a 100,000-mile warranty will usually be covered for more than seven years.
- A long warranty that can be transferred along with the title of the car can greatly increase the re-sale value of your vehicle.
- When considering a car's warranty, make sure it covers the powertrain (including the drivetrain and transmission), which can require the most expensive repairs.
- A three-year, 36,000-mile warranty is the industry standard, but some brands have more generous offerings.
- These brands include Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Lincoln, Cadillac, Buick, Hyundai, Kia, Genesis, Mitsubishi, Volkswagen, Tesla, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Land Rover, and Jaguar.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories
According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, most American motorists put 13,476 miles onto their car's odometer each year. So if you settled for a car with a 36,000-mile warranty, your coverage will run out in just over two and a half years, leaving you holding the bag when the need for repairs arises.
Buying a car with an extra long warranty can help save you money in maintenance costs and can help you make more money when you re-sell the car later, a car being more desirable when still covered by the manufacturer's guarantee.Read more: The 24 coolest cars at the 2019 New York Auto Show.
Many new cars these days have a three-year, 36,000-mile warranty, but with a bit of shopping around, you can find a few warranties that are more than three times as generous in terms of years and nearly three times as generous in terms of mileage. Generally, premium brands tend to offer longer warranties. However, there are a few mass-market automakers with offerings that are even better than the luxury brands.
Here's a closer look at car brands with the longest warranties: