19 amazing facts about the moon
- Though humans haven't set foot on the moon since 1972, we're consistently making new discoveries about Earth's satellite.
- Scientists believe the moon was created 4.5 billion years ago, when a Mars-sized body crashed into Earth and created orbiting debris that later formed the moon.
- The moon is not habitable for humans for many reasons, including its temperature fluctuation and lack of liquid water.
- This month, China landed on the far side of the moon - a first for humanity.
Earth's only natural satellite has entranced artists, astronomers, and scientists since the beginning of time. Its effect on the Earth, symbolism in popular culture, and scientific significance cannot be overemphasized.
From its size in relation to Earth and the rest of the solar system to its complicated composition, here are some amazing facts about the moon.
If Earth were the size of a basketball, the moon would be the size of a tennis ball.
The moon is about 30 Earths away from Earth.
The moon's effect on Earth's tides is slowing down the Earth's rotation.
Each month's full moon has a different name.
Once a year, we get a super moon due to the moon's orbit.
The moon likely formed 4.5 billion years ago.
It's really difficult for humans to survive on the moon.
Many other factors also prevent humans or other living beings from surviving on the moon.
The moon has moon quakes, similar to earthquakes.
Earth's moon is the fifth largest moon in the solar system.
A long-standing conspiracy theory (incorrectly) suggests that humans have never landed on the moon.
The lunar surface is littered with manmade objects.
Astronauts have brought 842 pounds of moon material back to Earth.
Even though Americans landed on the moon first, they don't own any territory there.
There will be 228 lunar eclipses in the 21st century.
The moon's diameter is roughly the same size as the width of China.
In January 2019, China landed on the far side of the moon — the first mission ever to do so.
The dark spots on the moon are called maria.
A 23-foot-wide replica of the moon is traveling the world.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles