20 growing US companies to work for if you want job security
Allan Hamilton/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
- Job security is one of many factors that you might take into account while planning a career.
- Using data from PayScale and Fortune, we found 20 big US companies with growing workforces where the typical employee stays around for a while.
When planning a career, job security is one of the many factors that you might be considering. We took a look at which major companies are likely to offer that security.To get a sense of where employees can expect a long career, we reviewed median job tenure data for Fortune 500 companies based on a study from PayScale. We combined that with estimates of how much total employment at those companies changed between 2015 and 2018, according to Fortune, reasoning that companies with growing workforces are more likely to offer better job security than companies that are expanding more slowly or that have a shrinking number of employees.
Here are the 20 best companies for job security based on that measure:Find out how your salary stacks up on PayScale.
19 (tie). AT&T was the biggest telecom company by revenues in 2018.
19 (tie). Costco runs 762 warehouse-style stores worldwide.Advertisement
18. AECOM is a massive engineering and infrastructure firm with building projects around the world
17. Ford Motor Company sold nearly 6 million vehicles worldwide in 2018Advertisement
16. Progressive is one of the biggest auto insurers in the US
15. United Continental was the third-biggest airline by revenue in 2018Advertisement
14. Arrow Electronics is a global electronics distributor with roots in a New York City radio shop started in 1935
13. DowDuPont is the result of a 2017 merger between chemical giants Dow and DuPont, and is currently in the process of being re-separated into three new companiesAdvertisement
12. Abbott Laboratories produces a variety of health products, including diagnostic tests and nutritional supplements
11. Kraft Heinz is the result of a 2015 merger between Kraft Foods and H.J. HeinzAdvertisement
10. Pfizer is a pharmaceutical giant that makes a vast array of drugs
9. CenturyLink was the fifth-biggest telecommunications company in the US by revenue in 2018Advertisement
7 (tie). Southwest Airlines flies over 4,000 planes daily at peak travel times
7 (tie). Newell Brands makes several everyday consumer products, including Sharpie markers and Rubbermaid storage containersAdvertisement
6. FedEx ships over 15 million packages each business day on average
5. Tech Data is a major information technology distributor based in Clearwater, FLAdvertisement
4. Genuine Parts sells auto parts in the US under the well-known NAPA brand
2 (tie). Charter Communications provides cable, internet, and phone service under its Spectrum brand. Charter's employment grew dramatically owing to its acquisition of Time Warner Cable in 2016.Advertisement
2 (tie). Fluor is an engineering and construction firm whose recent projects include oil sands development in Canada and the Governor Mario M. Cuomo bridge in New York
1. Lear Corporation is a leading manufacturer of auto seats and electrical partsAdvertisement
- Everybody in India must get Covid vaccine free, says Kejriwal
- Samsung now lets you buy up to four products in one single EMI as it seeks to boost sales this festive season
- Equitas Small Finance Bank IPO allotment: Here’s how to check share allotment status
- K'taka healthcare warriors first to get Covid vaccine: Minister
- Cong, BJP in K'taka cross swords over vaccine promise