21 health benefits of marijuana
Even the NIH's National Institute on Drug Abuse lists medical uses for cannabis.
But even though researchers have identified some fascinating potential benefits of medical marijuana so far, it's something that's still hard to study, making conclusive results tough to come by. The schedule I classification means it's hard for researchers to get their hands on pot grown to the exacting standards that are necessary for medical research, even in states where it's legal. Plus, no researcher can even try to make an FDA-approved cannabis product while it has that DEA classification, which removes some motivation to study the plant.
More research would identify health benefits more clearly and would also help clarify potential dangers - like with any psychoactive substance, there are risks associated with abuse, including dependency and emotional issues. And many doctors want to understand marijuana's effects better before deciding whether to recommend it or not.
With that caveat about research in mind, here are 21 of the medical benefits - or potential benefits - of marijuana.
- I'm a 56-year-old IT worker who got laid off last year and have been unemployed ever since. I have a hunch I'm not finding work due to ageism. How do I prove it?
- Live your life American Express’ Platinum way: Exceptional privileges, rewards and experiences
- Germany relaxes Schengen visa rules for Indians
- ADB, Wabag sign USD 25 mn debt facility for sanitation, water security in India
- RBI pauses onboarding of online merchants by Paytm Payments Services; firm says no material impact on biz
- Over 50% of microbusinesses had no mechanisms to cushion Covid impact, Road to Recovery report says
- Elon Musk may produce 'alternative' smartphones to compete with Apple, Android
- India sees a single-day rise of new 389 coronavirus infections, tally rises to 5,30,608