22 things I wish I had when I brought my puppy home
- Before bringing your new puppy home, it's important to understand the responsibility you're furever committing to.
- They'll need basic supplies like a bed, collar, and leash, as well as specific things like dog toothpaste and shampoo to stay healthy.
- As someone who's had a dog for 15 years, here are 22 things I'd recommend having when you're ready to bring your pup home.
- And if you need more suggestions, check out our guide to the best puppy gear.
My good friend was recently inducted into the puppy parenthood society when she brought home a spunky Aussie doodle named Maggie (pictured above).Meeting Maggie reminded me of my own dog Max, who was a mere pup 15 years ago. One time, he pooped on the hardwood floors while my parents were out frantically buying supplies at the last minute, so I scooped him up and kept him in the bathtub while I cleaned up the mess with paper towels.Advertisement
Read more: The best puppy gear to make your new dog feel at home
How hypocritical of me to preach about preparedness while I'm sticking my puppy in the bathtub, right? Well, I learned from my mistakes so you won't repeat them.Making the decision to get a puppy - or any pet - shouldn't be taken lightly. They're living, breathing creatures that rely on us to take care of them, and that could be a lot of work. If you've done your research and come to the conclusion that your heart, home, and wallet are ready for the life-long commitment, then your next steps are to puppy-fy your home with all the proper supplies.
Here are 22 essentials like crates, training essentials, and toys you should have before bringing your new puppy home:
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.
A dog bed as comfortable as yours
A crate that also matches your furnitureAdvertisement
A food and water bowl
An ID with pertinent contact informationAdvertisement
A harness to wear during walks
Absorbent pads to help potty trainAdvertisement
A training leash for walks
A clicker to help train your puppyAdvertisement
A package of treats specifically for training
A simple neck collarAdvertisement
A puppy play pen
Dog food designed for puppiesAdvertisement
A teething toy
A pet gate to block off doorwaysAdvertisement
A squeaky toy to stimulate natural instincts
A gentle shampoo for washingAdvertisement
A versatile brush that won't damage your puppy's coat
A pet-safe stain and odor removerAdvertisement
A disposable and easy-to-use toothbrush
A full stock of scented waste bags
A waste bag holder that can be attached to their leashAdvertisement
- COVID-19: Hospital mix-up causes family to cremate 'kin' twice
- Spotify-led global music streaming market hits 394million subscribers
- Bihar records highest single-day spike of 749 COVID-19 cases; tally now 13,274
- "Parties will have to stop, whether it is at homes and outdoors" says Goa CM
- Guj: AMC to screen 'super spreaders' for COVID-19 in Ahmedabad