3 retailers investors hate more than Under Armour
The company's stock price took a beating Tuesday, falling more than 8%, after it cut full-year sales guidance and reported continuing weakness in North America, its most important market.
Since the beginning of the year, Under Armour's shares have dropped more than 33%, making it the ninth worst-performing stock in the S&P 500 this year.
Under Armour's fall from glory has been swift and brutal. It was only two years ago that the company was touted as a top investment pick after notching 26 straight quarters of at least 20% sales growth. Shares grew nearly 20% that year.
Despite its recent troubles, however, Under Armour has still outperformed a few other retailers in the S&P 500.
Foot Locker, Macy's, and Signet Jewelers - which operates Kay Jewelers, Zales, Jared The Galleria Of Jewelry, and other jewelry stores - have all seen their share prices drop even further than Under Armour's.
Foot Locker and Macy's shares have dropped 34% in 2017 and Signet Jewelers shares have dropped 35%.
Foot Locker has been suffering from a shift in shoe manufacturers' preferences toward selling to online-only channels over brick-and-mortar stores, according to Credit Suisse.
"Ultimately, we believe the best-in-class execution by Foot Locker may no longer be enough to offset two-fronts of structural industry change," Credit Suisse analysts wrote in a recent note.
Macy's and Signet Jewelers are both under intense pressure from years of falling traffic to malls, where their stores are primarily located.
Macy's is also reeling from consumers' growing demand for off-price products, which are less profitable to sell.
- DBS Bank’s custom financing leads the way for companies trying to reach net-zero goals
- Republic Day 2022 – Here is a list of wishes and messages you can send to your fellow citizens
- The world's 5 richest tech tycoons — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, and Bill Gates — have already lost about $85 billion this year amid a brutal market sell-off
- Brands celebrate Republic Day with patriotic fervour
- OPINION: Tax consolidation schemes is the need of the hour for India’s renewable energy sector
- Air India's new policy on pre-flight weight checks is not going well with its staff
- Anand Mahindra responds after farmer's humiliation at SUV showroom
- MakeMyTrip's founder Deep Kalra moves into a chief mentor role