5 habits keeping you from getting a promotion - and 5 things you can do today to change them
Delmaine Donson/Getty Images
- Workers rarely navigate a clear path to a promotion.
- In fact, getting promoted takes time and commitment. Certain habits can hold you back, from never speaking up to not making an effort to find friends.
- Here are five big habits stopping you from getting promoted - and five solutions to each problem.
- Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
More and more, younger employees expect a promotion to fall in their laps. In fact, a recent study of Gen Z workers show young employees expect to get promoted in the first year - and many think they're moving on within the first six months on the job.
In reality, getting promoted takes commitment - and there typically isn't a clear path to landing a new title.
Marc Cenedella, founder and CEO of The Ladders, broke down some of the most common reasons why you aren't getting promoted, and offered practical solutions to get you to where you want to be.
"Ultimately, your career is in your hands," Cenedella told Business Insider.
Here are five reasons why you aren't getting promoted - and five steps you can take today to help advance your career.
THE PROBLEM: You blame others for your lack of a promotion.
SOLUTION: Take responsibility.
THE PROBLEM: You don't ask your boss why you aren't getting promoted.
SOLUTION: Start having weekly, in-person one-on-one conversations with your boss.
THE PROBLEM: You're misunderstanding the company culture.
SOLUTION: Learn what the company values, and start immersing yourself in the culture.
THE PROBLEM: There's a difference in what the company wants versus what you want.
SOLUTION: You need to start looking elsewhere.
THE PROBLEM: You aren't qualified enough.
SOLUTION: Look into certifications or further schooling.
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns