5 things you're doing every day that could be hurting your eyesight
S. Alemdar/Getty Images
- Your eyes are precious, but people often take them for granted.
- Even those with perfect vision should visit an eye doctor regularly to get checked for common eye diseases, such as glaucoma and macular degeneration.
- To take care of your eyes, it's important to visit an eye specialist regularly, wear sunglasses, avoid smoking, and eat healthy vegetables.
- Luckily, staring at a screen all day won't damage your eyes permanently, but it can cause strain on the visual system.
- Here are five common ways people hurt their eyes every day, and how to avoid them.
We know we shouldn't look directly at the sun, because it can cause serious eye damage even after a few seconds, according to Healthline. But there are plenty of other everyday habits that can hurt our eyes over time.
AdvertisementBusiness Insider spoke with Christopher Quinn, president of the American Optometric Association, to get some insight into how we may be damaging our eyes without even realizing it.
Even if you think your vision seems fine, these five things could be hurting your eyesight:
1. Staring at screens for too long
2. Not wearing sunglassesAdvertisement
3. Smoking cigarettes
4. Not eating your veggiesAdvertisement
5. Avoiding the eye doctor
- No offline exams up to Class 8 in Delhi govt schools
- CBSE board reduces syllabus for Class 10 social science exam
- 3rd Test: Axar Patel takes six wickets as India bowl out England for 112
- Promises made in Rajasthan govt budget will be fulfilled by robust financial management: CM Gehlot
- On his 100th test, Ishant Sharma is only next to Kapil Dev among Indian fast bowlers