6 real-life scandals Hollywood is making into movies and TV shows - from Epstein to Theranos to Nxivm
- Netflix and Hulu released dueling documentaries earlier this year about the Fyre Festival, the legendary failed music festival that ended in its founder being sent to prison for fraud.
- But that's just one recent scandal that Hollywood has quickly gotten its hands on for the big and small-screen treatment.
- Others include Jeffrey Epstein and the college admissions scandal involving Hollywood actors like Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin.
- We looked at six headline-grabbing scandals and the TV and movies shows that are being made based on them.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Netflix and Hulu dueled over a major scandal earlier this year.The infamous Fyre Festival, founded by convicted fraudster Billy McFarland, presented an obvious story to dig into that viewers would eat up: what was touted as a luxury music festival scammed prospective festival-goers out of thousands of dollars and left them stranded on a secluded island in the Bahamas. The streaming companies both released their own documentaries on the subject in January.Advertisement
But the Fyre Fest is just one recent example of a major scandal that Hollywood quickly got its hands on. There are many others.
Three projects are already in development about the financier Jeffrey Epstein, who was arrested on suspicion of sex trafficking last month and died by suicide earlier this month in a Manhattan correctional facility.Other recent scandals that Hollywood has eyes on are the Nxivm cult and the college admissions bribery scandal, in which over a dozen high-profile individuals were indicted earlier this year.
We rounded up six scandals and the TV and movie projects currently in the works about them:
The college admissions scandalAdvertisement
Anna Delvey, the "SoHo Grifter"
The Nxivm cultAdvertisement
The downfall of Roger Ailes at Fox News
Elizabeth Holmes and the collapse of blood-testing startup TheranosAdvertisement
- COVID crashed profit and Pidilite couldn’t fix it— yet
- There are five companies making Favipiravir now — and it is good for supply and prices
- Best 5,000mAh battery smartphones
- India's COVID-19 recovery rate rises to 67.62% and case fatality rate drops to 2.07%
- BCCI, Vivo suspend IPL partnership for one year, may resume next year