7 tips on how to be productive from Elon Musk
- SpaceX and Tesla CEO Elon Musk is famously productive.
- Musk recently told Tesla employees they'd be moving to an ambitious 24/7 schedule to get Model 3 production on track.
- In a letter announcing the changes, Musk offered employees a list of his own productivity tips.
Elon Musk gets a lot done.
The 46-year-old entrepreneur and CEO is revolutionizing the spaceflight industry with SpaceX, transforming the world of the electric car at Tesla, and pushing neuroscience and transportation forward at Neuralink and the Boring Company.
As SpaceX COO Gwynne Shotwell said at the 2018 TED Conference, Musk's goals are a lot to keep up with.
"When Elon says something, you have to pause and not blurt out 'Well, that's impossible,'" she said. "You zip it, you think about it, and you find ways to get it done."
Recently, Musk reportedly announced to Tesla employees that he wants to adopt a 24/7 shift schedule to get production for Tesla's Model 3 electric car on track. In an email obtained by Jalopnik, Musk explained a number of changes in the works for Tesla.
He's asking for quite a lot, so at the end of that email, he offered employees a list of his own productivity recommendations. From those tips, it's clear that Musk is clearly not a fan of meetings, bureaucracy, hierarchy, or any system that impedes immediate communication. He prefers people apply common sense to the task at hand.
He also told employees that if they had any ideas for making work at Tesla better and more efficient, they should let him know.
Here are the seven productivity tips Musk offered in the letter, in his own words.
Get the latest Tesla stock price here.
Large-format meetings waste people's time.
Meetings should be infrequent unless a matter is urgent.
If you don't need to be in a meeting, leave.
Avoid confusing jargon.
Don't let hierarchical structures make things less efficient.
If you need to get in touch with someone, do so directly.
Don't waste time following silly rules.
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip
- BMW launches its 3rd gen BMW X1 in India
- YouTube Music on the web gets mood filters
- Premium segment contributed 35% of overall smartphone market revenue in 2022
- US industry urges FM to rationalise, simplify direct and indirect taxes in India