8 things you probably never knew about Queen Elizabeth II
Chris Jackson/Getty Images
- Queen Elizabeth II is the longest-lived and longest-reigning British monarch in history.
- She's ruled over the United Kingdom as a constitutional monarch since her 1953 coronation.
- The queen and her family are frequently in the news - but there are some facts about Queen Elizabeth II that might fly under the radar.
Queen Elizabeth II has had quite a career.
Not only is she the longest-reigning British monarch in history - she's also the longest-reigning current monarch in the world, and the longest-serving current head of state. On Saturday, April 21, she turns 92 years old.
She's the first UK monarch to ever celebrate a sapphire jubilee, which marked her 65-year reign in 2017. CNN reported that, should the queen still be reigning on February 6, 2022, she will be the first British monarch to celebrate a platinum jubilee.
Her career was recently fictionalized in the Netflix historical drama series "The Crown," and the royal family is often in the news. But that doesn't mean there aren't a few facts out there about the queen that you might not have heard before.
Here's a look at some surprising facts about Queen Elizabeth II:
Elizabeth was a favorite of her grandfather, King George V.
The queen has at least two family nicknames — "Lilibet" and "cabbage."
Elizabeth II reportedly made the first ever royal transatlantic telephone call in 1939.
Queen Elizabeth reportedly fell in love with Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark when she was 13.
For her 1953 coronation, the queen's coronation gown featured symbolic embroidery that reflected the Commonwealth at the time.
The queen was the victim of one of the worst royal security breaches in modern history.
Queen Elizabeth is the first-ever head of state to open not one, but two Olympic Games in two different countries.
The finances of Queen Elizabeth and her son and heir Prince Charles were scrutinized after their names appeared in the leaked Paradise Papers.
- Paytm board to consider share buyback proposal on December 13
- Sensex, Nifty50 open in the green – Paytm rises on buyback proposal, HCL Tech declines
- Rupee gains 19 paise to 82.19/$ on dollar weakness and firm equities
- Football players age faster than others, says a Harvard study
- Realme 10 Pro+ 5G Review: An all-round value smartphone