8 things you probably never knew about Queen Elizabeth II
Chris Jackson/Getty Images
- Queen Elizabeth II is the longest-lived and longest-reigning British monarch in history.
- She's ruled over the United Kingdom as a constitutional monarch since her 1953 coronation.
- The queen and her family are frequently in the news - but there are some facts about Queen Elizabeth II that might fly under the radar.
Queen Elizabeth II has had quite a career.
Not only is she the longest-reigning British monarch in history - she's also the longest-reigning current monarch in the world, and the longest-serving current head of state. On Saturday, April 21, she turns 92 years old.
She's the first UK monarch to ever celebrate a sapphire jubilee, which marked her 65-year reign in 2017. CNN reported that, should the queen still be reigning on February 6, 2022, she will be the first British monarch to celebrate a platinum jubilee.
Her career was recently fictionalized in the Netflix historical drama series "The Crown," and the royal family is often in the news. But that doesn't mean there aren't a few facts out there about the queen that you might not have heard before.
Here's a look at some surprising facts about Queen Elizabeth II:
Elizabeth was a favorite of her grandfather, King George V.
The queen has at least two family nicknames — "Lilibet" and "cabbage."
Elizabeth II reportedly made the first ever royal transatlantic telephone call in 1939.
Queen Elizabeth reportedly fell in love with Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark when she was 13.
For her 1953 coronation, the queen's coronation gown featured symbolic embroidery that reflected the Commonwealth at the time.
The queen was the victim of one of the worst royal security breaches in modern history.
Queen Elizabeth is the first-ever head of state to open not one, but two Olympic Games in two different countries.
The finances of Queen Elizabeth and her son and heir Prince Charles were scrutinized after their names appeared in the leaked Paradise Papers.
- Five common symptoms of Stomach Cancer
- Consumer confidence stays stable in RBI survey across 19 major cities
- Covid virus can persist in lungs for up to two years: Study
- SC upholds abrogation of Article 370, calls for polls by September next year
- Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R vs Honda CBR650R – the 650cc sports bike drag