98 confirmed dead, hundreds injured after powerful earthquake hits popular Indonesian tourist island
AP Photo/Firdia Lisnawati
- A magnitude-7.0 earthquake hit Lombok, Indonesia, a popular tourist destination known for mountains, beaches and surf.
- At least 98 people are dead, and hundreds of others are injured.
- The quake was felt 150 kilometers (93 miles) away in Denpasar.
- The epicenter is near where a previous earthquake hit last week and killed 16 people.
A magnitude-7.0 earthquake has hit the Indonesian resort island of Lombok, killing 98 people.
The earthquake struck at 6:46 p.m. local time on Sunday and damaged buildings 150 kilometers (93 miles) away in Denpasar, Bali.
A spokesman for Indonesia's National Disaster Mitigation Agency told reporters on Monday afternoon that the death toll had risen to 98 people, and more than 230 others were severely injured.
Officials warned that this figure could continue to rise as search and rescue teams continue to sweep the area.
The identities of all the victims are not clear yet. The Guardian reported earlier on Monday that all those confirmed dead in the earthquake were Indonesian.
Among the buildings that were damaged is a mosque in Lading-Lading village, where multiple worshippers were trapped inside.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho/Twitter
The epicenter was on land 18 kilometers (11 miles) northwest of East Lombok, near where the previous quake struck a week ago and killed 16 people.
Indonesia's Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency issued a tsunami warning following the quake, but later lifted the warning at 8.30pm local time.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, the spokesperson for Indonesia's disaster agency, says the main focus now is the search and rescue operation and getting basic needs met for those affected.
"Current urgent needs are medical personnel, clean water, food, blankets, mats, tents, fast food, trauma healing services and basic need," he said.
The Indonesian air force sent three planes on Monday morning to Bali and Lombok, with troops, medical personnel, drugs and food onboard.
Indonesian President Joko Widodo wrote on Twitter urging the community to remain calm and said "the brothers are not alone facing this ordeal".
Australia's Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton, who is in Lombok for a counter-terrorism meeting, told Fairfax Media the quake "was powerful enough to put us on the floor".
"We were up on the 12th floor, the lights went out and we were able to evacuate," Dutton said. "I think we were pretty lucky in the end."
Videos of moment the earthquake hit have been posted on Twitter:
A number of tourists have since made an effort to evacuate Lombok by sea and air.
Airport authorities in Lombok have requested additional flights to accommodate the influx.
Model Chrissy Teigen is also in Bali with her husband, singer John Legend, and their two children. She says her family is safe but has asked for the media to focus on those in danger and in need of help.
Lombok, which is located east of Bali and makes up part of the Lesser Sunda Island chain, is a popular tourist destination known for mountains, beaches and surf.
The island nation is situated in the Ring of Fire, an area in the basin of the Pacific Ocean where many earthquakes and volcanic eruptions occur. Because of this, Indonesia is prone to earthquakes and has some of the most active volcanoes in the area.
Wisatawan asing dsn domestik menunggu evakuasi dari Gili Trawangan, Gilingan Air dan Gili Meno Lombok Utara. Terbatasnya kapal menyebabkan evakuasi bertahap. Tim SAR akan menambah kapal. pic.twitter.com/EZKqwLnQjQ- Sutopo Purwo Nugroho (@Sutopo_PN) August 6, 2018
Airport first aid at Lombok. Tourists fled still wearing their bath robes pic.twitter.com/dy4gpkQHnT- David Lipson (@davidlipson) August 6, 2018
another aftershock just now. probably the 8th one we have felt since the big one last night. we are safe, up high and nothing around us. thinking about everyone around us and in Lombok especially.- christine teigen (@chrissyteigen) August 6, 2018
- OnePlus blames voltage fluctuation after a user reports Nord 2 charger explosion
- Dropbox's billionaire founder Drew Houston says the 40-hour office week is a thing of the past and the pandemic has changed work forever
- Facebook pumping $50 million into its metaverse project is another sign that Zuckerberg doesn’t want to miss the crypto bus
- Aditya Birla Sun Life AMC IPO opens today, analysts bet high on the growing mutual fund industry
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO: How to check for your refund if you have not received the allotment
- Buy biodegradable sanitary pads for women in India
- Best baby booster seat in India
- Amazon-backed Capital Float plans to go big in the buy now, pay later segment; raises $50 million
- Freshworks IPO
- Paras Defence and Space IPO
- Instagram Posts
- Mukesh Ambani
- Apple iPhone 13
- Girish Mathrubootham
- ITC Share Price
- OnePlus Nord 2 smartphone
- Upcoming Movies in India
- New Smartphone in India
- Finolex Cables Share Price
- Paras Defence and Space IPO
- Epic Games
- Elon Musk
- Aditya Birla Sun Life
- Rajasthan PTET 2021 result