A 2004 email from Jeff Bezos explains why Powerpoint presentations aren't allowed at Amazon
Anytime an Amazon worker has an idea to discuss, they're asked to structure their pitch in the form of a 4-6 page memo, which the company calls a "narrative."
They then take their pitches to team meetings, where the first 20 minutes or so are spent reading the memo. Afterwards, the presenter fields questions from the rest of the team.
It's an unconventional process, to be sure, but one that Amazon believes forces careful consideration of ideas.
In an email sent to his senior team - also known as the STeam - in 2004, Bezos explained why Amazon would no longer be using PowerPoint presentations.
The email was sent to the STeam on June 9, 2004, at 6:02 p.m. and had the subject line "No powerpoint presentations from now on at steam."
A little more to help with the reason "why."
Well structured, narrative text is what we're after rather than just text. If someone builds a list of bullet points in word, that would be just as bad as powerpoint.
The reason writing a 4 page memo is harder than "writing" a 20 page powerpoint is because the narrative structure of a good memo forces better thought and better understanding of what's more important than what, and how things are related.
Powerpoint-style presentations somehow give permission to gloss over ideas, flatten out any sense of relative importance, and ignore the innerconnectedness of ideas.
Disclosure: Jeff Bezos is an investor in Business Insider through hispersonal investment company Bezos Expeditions.
- Close-ups of footage said to show Gabby Petito's van near where a body was found appear to show the rear door closing
- Elon Musk pulled his 'last remaining house' off the market after vowing last year to get rid of nearly all his possessions
- It's never been more clear: companies should give up on back to office and let us all work remotely, permanently
- Durex takes down its latest social media post on the bus scene from Netflix’s Sex Education after internet users call it ‘insensitive’
- Three reasons why this might be a good time to buy Bitcoin
- Sony ZV-E10 vlogging camera with interchangeable lens launched in India
- US, India, Japan, Australia to sign pact for stepping up chip production, reduce dependence on China
- Here’s how to schedule an email in Gmail