A German fashion startup called off an event because Berlin wants to use the venue to house refugees
TSGT Jose Lopez Jr., US Air Force/Wikimedia Commons
Zalando had planned to host Bread & Butter, a trade show it saved from insolvency in June, at the site of the now-defunct Tempelhof Airport, which ceased operations in 2008.But the escalating European refugee crisis has meant that the Berlin Senate is looking into the possibility of using the building (along with other venues) to house refugees, prompting Zalando to put the event on ice. (We first saw the news via Tech.eu.)Advertisement
The ongoing conflict in Syria and Iraq has produced a growing stream of desperate refugees pouring into Europe - the largest since the Second World War. The issue has taken on a new urgency in recent days after 71 people were found dead inside a smuggler's van in Austria, and yesterday photos of a dead child on a Turkish beach sparked horrified headlines across the continent.
It's just one small symptom of the ongoing tragedy, to which no immediate end is in sight.
- Vaccine for COVID-19 can t be expected this year:CCMB director Mishra
- COVID-19: UP records 24 more deaths, 757 fresh cases
- COVID-19: 51 booked for holding cricket match in Greater Noida
- Week-long total lockdown in Arunachal's Capital Complex from July 6
- COVID-19: Goa will set up plasma bank, says health minister