A Shocking Tale of How Secure Your Facebook Profile Is
Facebook is one of the most popular social networking sites in the country and we would expect them to take all the security issues very seriously. However, there is a shocking tale that we have come across.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
A tech friend of ours, Vivek Bansal had written a script 11 months ago, which enabled any mobile or web application to post any message, image or video on your timeline. What’s more the same script could even post the same content even on your friend’s timeline on your behalf and all this without taking any prior permission from you. To show how it used to work, see the video demo.
Like any responsible netizen, Vivek contacted the security staff at Facebook about the bug. For bringing this bug to Facebook’s attention, Vivek was awarded $2,000 and in January 2014 he even got a confirmation that the bug had been fixed.
Screenshot of the email:
MSME EXCHANGE 2021Join us in amplifying the voice of over 60 million MSMEs in IndiaJune 28 - 29, 05:00 PM onwards
However, 10 months after Facebook had confirmed patching the bug, it still continues to work! Vivek had made another video of the same script in action on November 5, 2014 and even showed us a demo of the same today.
Well, we are not sure if the bug was fixed in the first place or not but we would surely want Facebook to be much more careful with things such as these. What do you think of the entire episode, do let us know your views on the same in the comments below.
- Cannes Lions 2021: India brings home a Gold, four Silver Lions and three Bronze Lions on Day 2
- E-commerce management platform CommerceIQ raises $60 million, looks to launch India operations by 2022
- Best power banks under ₹ 1000 to buy in India for 2021
- Best business laptops in India for 2021
- India is reportedly mulling over a new crypto tax which could make trading on foreign exchanges more expensive