A college janitor worked his way to an engineering degree - and he just got a job at an aerospace company
Eight years later - at age 54 - he graduated from the school with a bachelor's in mechanical engineering. And now, he snagged a job at a prominent aerospace manufacturing company, WPI's the Daily Herd reports.Vaudreuil's story went viral during the height of graduation season last month. It all began when he decided to enroll in a few classes at WPI in addition to his full-time custodial work (as a WPI employee he was eligible to take free classes at the school). At first, he told the Daily Herd, he had no intentions of getting a degree. But his confidence grew, and he enrolled in more classes, all while working the late-shift as a janitor. Advertisement
On May 14, he walked across the stage to receive his diploma. His mortarboard was decorated with the phrase "Old dog has new tricks," CNN reports.Now,Vaudreuil has accepted a job as an engineer for Pratt & Whitney, an aerospace manufacturing company in Connecticut, according to the Daily Herd. He starts his new gig on July 11.
"I'm going to quote one of my favorite movies - they made me an offer I couldn't refuse," he told the paper. "Getting that job is always what it's been about. That's the moment I fought for, for so hard, all of those years."
- India at forefront of vaccine development: Modi
- How music has become the real social connector, and technology has helped democratize music in today’s digitally connected world
- EXCLUSIVE: Trump versus Biden — Here’s what the result of the US election could mean for India
- EXCLUSIVE: Why Tata Motors CEO is not worried about Musk's Tesla coming to India
- Chinese soldier strays across the border — detained by India , to be released soon