A grocery chain no one ever talks about is becoming Whole Foods' biggest threat
But Kroger is thriving in a difficult market for grocery stores.The supermarket chain has reported positive comparable-store sales for 45 straight quarters.
The chain is renowned for excellent customer service, loyalty program, and extensive selection, Stephen Ward, commercial director of research and consulting firm Conlumino, said in a note to clients.Much like Costco and Aldi, Kroger many offers private label products, keeping prices low.
The retailer ''s strategy of offering more specialty and organic food is helping it overtake other chains despite an industry-wide trend away from supermarkets, JPMorgan analysts write.Traditional supermarkets have been losing market share to high-end grocers, warehouse chains, and dollar stores because customers are seeking either specialty assortments or great value, according to a recent report by the real estate investment firm JLL. "Millennials and Boomers alike are focusing more on healthy eating choices and creatively prepared meals," the analysts write.
Selling more organic food will attract high-end customers and help drive profits at Kroger, according to JPMorgan.
Kroger, which has more than 2,000 locations, could also take potential customers from Whole Foods.
Whole Foods has 287 locations but continues to expand into new markets.
- UP to have cold chain space for 1.23L litres of vaccine
- Wuhan authorities now find Covid-19 on imported frozen food
- From WhiteHat Jr, Big Basket, and Unacademy to Dunzo — these are the Indian startups that reported data leaks over the past few months
- Chennai volunteer for SII's Covid vaccine claims Rs 5 cr compensation for health complications
- ASEAN distances from China's Covid vaccine diplomacy