A look inside the daily routine of Abraham Lincoln, who started working before breakfast, forgot to eat regular meals, and was known to walk through the White House late at night
• This Presidents' Day, Americans celebrate the legacy of the United States presidency.
• Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president, is widely regarded as one of the greatest presidents of all time.
• Lincoln's daily work routine reflects his intense work ethic.
Abraham Lincoln is widely considered America's greatest president.
Monday, February 12, marks the 209th anniversary of his birth. Born on the Kentucky frontier, Lincoln would grow up to lead America through one of its bloodiest conflicts. He cleared the path for the abolition of slavery, preserved the Union, revolutionized the federal government, and lost his life in the process.
And the US certainly hasn't forgotten his legacy. Since 1948, there have been 18 major surveys that asked American scholars to rank the presidents. Lincoln came in first in 10 of those surveys - and claimed second or third place in the other eight. That means that Abraham Lincoln took the top spot more than the other 42 presidents featured in the rankings. CBS reported that former US President Barack Obama also listed Lincoln has his all-time favorite president.
But what was everyday life like for Lincoln in the White House? As it turns out, the president's typical routine reflected his singular commitment to his work.
Here's a look at Lincoln's daily schedule:
- Astronomers find planet that seems too humongous to be orbiting its parent star!
- Penguins employ thousands of microsleeps to achieve 11 hours' slumber daily!
- Ashok Gehlot: Magician leaves centre stage in Rajasthan
- Trauma made Abrar an 'Animal': Bobby Deol on his negative role
- Victory of Modi's guarantees, say BJP leaders as party sweeps states states