Alibaba founder Jack Ma was rejected from 30 jobs, including KFC, before becoming the richest man in China
His e-commerce company, Alibaba, attracts 100 million shoppers a day. Ma is worth an estimate $20.4 billion.
But before he was the richest person in China, Ma went through a lot of rejection.
In a recent interview with Charlie Rose, the businessman reveals that he failed a college entrance exam three times.
Once he ruled out college, Ma applied for 30 different jobs and got rejected.
"I went for a job with the police; they said, 'you're no good,'" Ma tells Rose. "I even went to KFC when it came to my city. Twenty-four people went for the job. Twenty-three were accepted. I was the only guy..."
When Ma founded Alibaba in 1998, he was met with more obstacles.
The brand didn't turn a profit for the first three years, and Ma had to get creative. One of the company's main challenges was that it had no way to do payments and no banks would work with him.
Ma decided to start his own payment program called Alipay. The program transfers payments of different currencies between international buyers and sellers.
"So many people I talked to at that time about Alipay, they said, 'this is the stupidest idea you've ever had,'" he said. "I didn't care if it was stupid as long as people could use it."
Today, 800 million people use Alipay.
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- With inflation cooling, RBI may slash interest rates by 50 bps this financial year
- ULIPs are not for senior citizens: Here’s how to choose the right investments to secure the golden years of your life
- Ambati Rayudu announces retirement from IPL
- Data protection bill to drive deep behavioural changes for platforms exploiting data: Chandrasekhar
- MS Dhoni set to play 250th IPL match of his career