Allergan's CEO says his dad gave him a hard time about dodging taxes
He's the chief executive of Allergan, the drugmaker that's merging with Pfizer in a bid by the latter company to slash its tax bill. The tactic, called a tax inversion, will let Pfizer move its tax-domicile to Ireland.During a panel at the Forbes Healthcare Summit Wednesday evening, Saunders said his dad gave him a hard time about the inversion. Allergan's actually been domiciled outside of the US - for the sake of avoiding taxes - for some time now but the issue was thrust back into the spotlight after the $160 billion Pfizer deal was announced last month.Advertisement
Though the deal triggered some strongly worded statements from politicians ranging from Hillary Clinton to Donald Trump, analysts don't expect the US Congress to take much action on the issue.
Allergan and Pfizer, for their part, have been unapologetic about the inversion. Pfizer's CEO Ian Read has been an advocate for cutting taxes as a way of creating shareholder value, and the Allergan deal was his second attempt at an inversion.Saunders replied to his father that the inversion isn't much different from moving from a state with a higher income tax, like one in the Northeast, to Florida, which his dad has done.
After that comparison, Saunders said, "he stopped talking about it."
"Taxes are not about morality," Saunders said. "If they were, people would spend more on taxes."
- Karnam Sekar retires as Indian Overseas Bank MD & CEO
- Brigadier dies of Covid 19 at Kolkata hospital
- SEBI alleges insider trading by Divi's Labs' CFO, imposes ₹96 lakh fine
- US-based Amdocs to lay off 1,000 employees due to coronavirus: Report
- US risks greater COVID-19 outbreak if latest surge not controlled says Anthony Fauci
- Oxford Covid 19 Vaccine
- Bank Holiday in July
- CA Exams
- Types of Chinese App
- Chinese Apps
- Indian Covid 19 Vaccine
- Sharechat App
- Assam Floods Pictures
- H1-B Visa Impact
- Camscanner App Alternative
- Chinese Mobile Company
- Top Chinese App
- List of Banned Chinese Apps
- UC Browser App Alternative
- Britannia vs Parle G
- Smartphone Under 20000 Rs.