Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos says working at McDonald's as a 16-year-old made him obsessed with automation and managing employees
Drew Angerer / Getty Images
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos started off his career in retail when he was 16 and working at McDonald's.
- Jeff Bezos has said in interviews that he learned how to work well under pressure and take responsibility early on.
- Bezos is one of several successful people in the US to have worked at McDonald's.
Jeff Bezos runs one of the world's most powerful companies, yet his route to success is more modest than you might imagine.Amazon's founder, who is currently the richest man in the world and worth $120 billion, started his career in retail at age 16, when he worked the grill at the back of a McDonald's.
But Bezos learned more from his experience than how to flip a burger. In an excerpt from an interview he did with Wired, Bezos sheds light on how he became fascinated with the automated services offered at the fast-food chain."Now, actually, the french fries raise themselves up out of the oil, which let me tell you is a major technological innovation!" he told Wired
According to Bezos, this summer job not only gave him an early insight into customer service and working under pressure, but it also taught him the value of being a good manager."The most challenging thing was keeping everything going at the right pace during a rush. The manager at my McDonald's was excellent. He had a lot of teenagers working for him, and he kept us focused even while we had fun," he told Teets.He added: "You can learn responsibility in any job if you take it seriously. You learn a lot as a teenager working at McDonald's. It's different from what you learn in school. Don't underestimate the value of that!"
And it's not just Bezos - a number of other successful people got their start at McDonald's, including Paul Ryan and Jay Leno.
- OPINION: “I would bet on Novovax,” a doctor’s take on how to make the COVID-19 vaccine jabs more effective
- Aishwarya Pissay, a champion motorcyclist, describes what it takes to ace the circuit
- Mandatory 14-days quarantine for Delhi residents returning from Kumbh Mela, says Delhi Disaster Management Authority
- Check out the youngest players in IPL 2021
- JEE Mains entrance exam postponed amid surge in COVID-19 cases