Amazon's first original movie, Spike Lee's 'Chi-raq,' is available to stream on Prime right now
While Amazon and Netflix have licensed old movies for ages, both have recently begun aggressive moves into the original film business. The pair went on a buying spree at Sundance, outbidding traditional distributors for indie films.One source at a theatrical distributor said, "We are shooting bullets, but Netflix and Amazon are using machine guns!"
This sentiment certainly rings true for "Chi-Raq." When asked why he sold the film to Amazon, Spike Lee replied, "They're a great company. And also everyone else said no.""Chi-Raq" had a theatrical run starting in December and snagged $2.6 million at the domestic box office. But the true test of its worth for Amazon will be how it performs on Prime.
The film is a modern-day rendition of "Lysistrata," by the ancient Greek playwright Aristophanes, and stars Nick Cannon and Wesley Snipes. In "Chi-Raq," a gang leader's girlfriend organizes a sex strike to curb the violence on Chicago's South Side.Stream the film on Prime here>>Disclosure: Jeff Bezos is an investor in Business Insider through hispersonal investment company Bezos Expeditions.
- Sputnik V: RDIF seeks vaccine's speedy registration, prequalification from WHO
- Ankhi Das quits as Facebook's India public policy head
- States urged to adopt national approach: Niti Aayog on 'free vaccine'
- Analysts expect no surprises from Axis Bank in the second quarter — loan growth and collections to be slow
- Hero Motocorp sold more bikes in second quarter and that will aid revenue growth — but profit may remain under pressure