An early look at Elon Musk's Gigafactory, a building that could change the world
That's where Tesla's Gigafactory comes into play.
For those unfamiliar, Tesla describes its massive 5.5 million square-foot Gigafactory as a way to "accelerate the world's transition to sustainable transportation."
The first Gigafactory, located outside Sparks, Nevada, is an ambitious manufacturing facility that plans to build batteries for Tesla's electric cars for the foreseeable future. To make these batteries, Tesla will use "economies of scale, innovative manufacturing, reduction of waste, and the simple optimization of locating most manufacturing process under one roof."
The Gigafactory is also notable since it will be powered completely by renewable energy, according to Tesla.
Tesla's first Gigafactory aims to start building battery cells by 2017, to coincide with the launch of the Model 3, reaching full capacity by 2020. But for now, all we can do is view the Gigafactory from the outside. And thanks to a drone pilot and his low-altitude quadrocopter, we can see how construction on the $5 billion building is coming along.
- Donald Trump supporters baffled and divided over his claim that Republicans won't vote in 2022 or 2024
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has Zoom call silenced after 'irrelevant' impeachment testimony during hearing of Lt. Col. Stuart Scheller
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles