Another Mallya in the making? A wait of two years and lenders receive peanuts from Winsome group
AdvertisementWhile everyone is busy keeping an eye on Vijay Mallya, who has been in news for his transit from India’s liquor baron to its largest willful defaulter, one also needs to know the developments in the gold and diamond house Winsome group that stands close behind Mallya in loan defaults.
After a long wait of two years, lenders to
Winsome spokespersons and its promoter Jatin Mehta have maintained their stand of being unable to repay banks the loans of Rs 6,800 crore because of non-payment by overseas customers who have lost heavily on gold and currency derivative bets. However, no bank has bought what looks like a cooked-up excuse.
Popular on BI
- New SIM card rules from Dec 1 include bulk purchase restrictions – All you need to know
- Netflix to bring popular game 'GTA: The Trilogy' on its mobile app in Dec
- Resilient India to outperform most global economies in FY24, says Client Associates
- Embrace the winter warmth: Unveiling the benefits and uses of ginger
- Love bombing, AI-powered humour: Dating trends popular with the young