Beijing just finished construction on its massive new international airport - here's what it looks like
Zhang Chenlin/Xinhua via Getty) (Xinhua/Zhang Chenlin via Getty Images
- Beijing has finished construction on its new international airport.
- The Beijing Daxing International Airport, located to the city's south, will start commercial flights around September 30.
- Scroll down for a first look at the completed airport.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Construction on Beijing's second international airport completed this week, putting the airport on track to begin operations by its September 30 target.As Chinese air traffic numbers continue to soar, the country's aviation infrastructure has become more and more crowded. According to Bloomberg, China is on pace to displace the US as the world's largest aviation market by 2022. Crowding is particularly acute at airports in major cities like Beijing.
Here it is: the brand new Beijing Daxing International Airport
When it opens later this year, the airport will help China manage its increasing air traffic — for both leisure and business.
Daxing will put Beijing on the list of major cities with multiple international airports, such as New York, London, Paris, and Tokyo.
The new Beijing Daxing International Airport will be capable of handling 72 million passengers annually by 2025, and 100 million by 2040.
Road and rail links between the airport and the main city are already in place, and should be fully operational when service begins from the airport.
There will be six major test runs with takeoffs and landings before the airport enters service, according to Bloomberg. The first of these took place on May 13, with aircraft of varying sizes from Air China, China Southern Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, and Xiamen Airlines participating.
The site, including the open, spacious terminal building, took five years to build.
Combined, Daxing and the older Beijing Capital International Airport will handle 170 million annual passengers by 2025, according to official estimates reported by Bloomberg.
- Chris Gayle appears four times in the top 10 list of most sixes hit in an IPL match
- Up-close and not so personal with Munnar’s pit vipers, gliding frogs and more
- Haryana government extends lockdown in the state till May 24
- UK's Cairn Energy identifies $70 billion Indian assets for seizing to recover amount due from government
- States to receive nearly 51 lakh COVID-19 vaccine doses in next three days, says Union Health Ministry