Bitcoin Cash has risen 80% over the last week
- Bitcoin Cash is up 17% against the dollar on Monday.
- The cryptocurrency has risen 80% over the last seven days.
- An upcoming 'fork' of the currency - a change to its underlying code - appears to be supporting the price rally.
- Follow the live Bitcoin Cash price on Markets Insider.
LONDON - Cryptocurrency Bitcoin Cash has been rallying strongly over the last week and is up another 17% on Monday.
Bitcoin Cash, which was spun-off from bitcoin last August, has risen over 80% against the dollar over the last seven days and it up 17% at 11.43 a.m. GMT (6.43 a.m. ET):
The rally appears to be driven by an upcoming Bitcoin Cash fork - industry speak for another currency being spun out of the underlying code that runs a cryptocurrency. The fork aims to increase the processing power of bitcoin cash by increasing the size of the blocks of transactions that are processed.
Mati Greenspan, an analyst with trading platform eToro, said in an email on Monday: "Bitcoin Cash is moving towards a hard-fork on May 15th. The planned fork that will increase the maximum block size from 8 MB to 32 MB and will also remove the SegWit protocol.
"However, those looking to get a new coin or "dividend" out of this fork may be disappointed. If all goes smoothly, the new coin that is created from the fork will completely replace the old coin. Though there may be some who try to keep the old BCH alive, they will very likely be the minority. That said, there will be no free lunch, and no chain split unless things go terribly wrong.
"Still, many crypto traders have the last few bitcoin forks permanently etched in their minds and associate hard forks with rising price and so the momentum is snowballing at the moment, especially in markets such as Japan and South Korea."
Greenspan pointed to spiking volumes for Bitcoin Cash trades in Japanese yen and Korean won over the last few days. However, he added that trade in these currencies remains a small sliver of the market and is likely only contributing to continuing momentum in the market, rather than driving it.
Bitcoin Cash is the fourth largest cryptocurrency by market value, with $23 billion in circulation.
- Indian markets open lower amid unrest in China over zero-Covid: Paytm, Adani Transmission, Hero MotoCorp in focus
- Canada to strengthen visa processing capacity in Delhi and Chandigarh
- Dharmaj Crop Guard IPO – 10 things to know before subscribing
- Revenge spending effect: Household savings dip to 5 -year low
- With no signs yet of inflation cooling, experts predict more rate hikes
- Tata Aviation
- Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
- Interest Rate on Deposits
- Uniparts IPO
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Asus new Desktop
- Sandhya Devanathans
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Small Cap Companies
- India Pharma
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World