Boeing just launched a new $400 million 777X private airliner, and it's a flying mansion that can go halfway around the world
- Boeing Business Jets launched its new BBJ 777X private jet on Monday at the Middle East Business Aviation Association Show in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- The BBJ 777X is the private jet version of the next-generation Boeing 777X airliner.
- Boeing unveiled the BBJ 777X with a trio of interior design concepts from Greenpoint Technologies, Jet Aviation, and Unique Aircraft Design.
- The Boeing 777-8 has a list price of $394.9 million while the larger 777-9 costs $425.8 million.
- The list price does not include the cost of the custom interior.
- The Boeing 777-9 is expected to enter service in 2020 while the 777-8 is expected to follow soon after.
The upcoming Boeing 777X has some big shoes to fill. The new wide-body is set to be Boeing's next flagship and the replacement for the iconic 747 Jumbo Jet.And now there's going to be a private jet version of the airliner. Advertisement
On Monday, Boeing Business Jets launched the BBJ 777X at bi-annual Middle East Business Aviation Association Show (MEBAA) in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
"Our most exclusive customers want to travel with the best space and comfort and fly directly to their destination," Greg Laxton, head of Boeing Business Jets, said in a statement. "The new BBJ 777X will be able to do this like no other airplane before it, redefining ultra-long range VIP travel."Read more: I flew on a $10 million Embraer Phenom 300E and I now see why it's the most popular private jet in the world.
Since 1996, BBJ has been turning Boeing's commercial airliners into opulent private jets for the world's wealthy elite.BBJ doesn't sell many planes with just 261 orders in company history, but the aircraft they do turn out are works of flying art. In addition to the 777X, BBJ has also developed private jet versions of the 737, 787 Dreamliner, and the 747. Advertisement
Here's a closer look at the new BBJ 777X:
Get the latest Boeing stock price here.
The BBJ 777X is based on the new Boeing 777X airliner.
Like the commercial airliner on which it is based, the BBJ 777X will be available in both 777-8 and the larger 777-9 variants.Advertisement
The BBJ 777-8 has a range of 13,400 miles while the larger BBJ 777-9 can go up 12,700 miles. That's several thousand miles further than the airliner versions of the planes can fly.
In fact, the BBJ 777X is the longest range private jet ever made. That means flights from Sydney to London or Seattle to Dubai are possible.Advertisement
Power comes from GE's massive GE9X engine that returns 5% lower fuel consumption than rival powerplants while producing 29% lower emissions.
The 777X boasts a 236-foot wingspan along with a cabin that's 7.9 feet tall and nearly 20-feet wide.Advertisement
The 777-9 is 33 feet longer than the 777-8 and as a result, has more room. The 777-8 boasts 3,256 square feet of interior space while the 777-9 has 3,689 square feet. That's about as much interior space as a large suburban home. A very luxurious suburban home.
Boeing all showed off interior concepts for the 777X from three different firms. The first is from Jet Aviation which opens with a stylish entrance way.Advertisement
To the right of the entrance way is a massive lounge which...
... Boarders a stylish dining room and...Advertisement
At the back of the interior is a large master suite complete with a master bath and closet.Advertisement
Next up is the interior concept by Unique Aircraft Design. Here's the entrance way.
To the right of the entrance way is an open lounge.Advertisement
Further towards the back of the plane is the dining room. Aft of the dining room is a compartment of first and business class seats.
To the immediate left of the entrance way is the office.Advertisement
Further towards towards the front of the plane is the master bedroom and...
.... Master bathroom.Advertisement
Finally, there is the design from Greenpoint Technologies. Here's the entryway.
To the right and left of the entrance are lounge areas.Advertisement
Within each lounge, the space is divided using various furnishings.
Aft of the main lounge is a guest bedroom complete with...Advertisement
... A sitting area.
The Greenpoint design's highlight is the master suite at the back of the plane.Advertisement
First up is the large, plush bed.
Aft of the bed is a full walk-in closet.Advertisement
Here's a another look at that amazing closet.
Aft of the closet is the master bath.Advertisement
It features a standalone shower and stone floors.
There is also a his-and-hers vanity.Advertisement
BBJ did not say how much the custom interiors would cost, but it's safe to say it's in the hundreds of millions of dollars.
The Boeing 777-8 has a list price of $394.9 million. The larger 777-9 costs $425.8 million.Advertisement
The Boeing 777-9 is expected to enter service in 2020 and the 777-8 is expected to follow soon after.
- Cricbuzz celebrates the start of IPL 2020 with a catchy rap
- INTERVIEW: InsuranceDekho raises its maiden $20 million from parent co – plans to expand to its reach in the ‘real Bharat’
- At least 270 pilot whales are stranded at sandbanks in Australia — and a third of them have already died
- EXCLUSIVE: Dailyhunt is curating an entire family of 'Bharat' apps — claims it can push a new mobile app every three days
- Samsung Galaxy F mid-range smartphone to launch in India next month