Dave Chappelle is reportedly making $60 million for his Netflix comedy specials
Brad Barket /Invision/AP
According to The New York Post's Page Six column, the comedian is making a total of $60 million for delivering three comedy specials to the streaming company in 2017.
"Dave was offered $20 million a special," Page Six's anonymous source said. "Netflix basically has a war chest for this kind of content. Whether it's a loss or not, Dave Chappelle's specials will get a lot of press and bring in new subscribers."
At $20 million per special, that would place Chappelle's deal on par with the reported $40 million deal Chris Rock secured with Netflix last month for two comedy specials.
A Netflix representative told Business Insider it doesn't comment on the financial details of its deals.
The concert specials are Chappelle's first in 12 years. Two of the specials have already been shot, but were never released. The third one will be produced specifically for Netflix. All three are set to release simultaneously in 2017.
The deal follows Chappelle's hosting debut November 12 on "Saturday Night Live," which delivered the season's highest overnight ratings and the best 18-to-49 ratings for the show since 2013.
Chappelle made a huge name for himself while starring on "Chappelle's Show," a racially charged sketch show that ran on Comedy Central from 2003 to 2006. Most recently, he's been trying out new material in an intimate venue tour.
- How to use the realistic crying face filter on Snapchat
- Elon Musk praised Netflix for telling employees to quit if they couldn't work on content they disagreed with. He previously bashed the platform as having a 'woke mind virus.'
- The Terra LUNA crypto crash has sparked the debate on ‘true’ decentralisation
- Bharti Airtel's revenues soar by 22% year on year, net profit 165% in Q4FY22
- Volkswagen Virtus vs Skoda Slavia: Specifications and features compared
- LIC makes a weak debut on exchanges today: Here is what analysts have to say
- Top free iPhone and iPad games for all age groups
- Best phones under ₹50,000 in India